LibreSprite is a free and open source program for creating and animating your sprites.
- Real-time animation previews.
- Onion skinning.
- Multiple sprites can be edited at once.
- Ready to use palettes, or make your own.
- Sprites are composed of both layers & frames.
- Tiled drawing mode, useful to draw patterns and textures.
- Pixel precise tools like filled contour, polygon, shading mode, etc.
- Several file types supported for your sprites and animations.
LibreSprite originated as a fork of Aseprite, developed by David Capello. Aseprite used to be distributed under the GNU General Public License version 2, but was moved to a proprietary license on August 26th, 2016.
This fork was made on the last commit covered by the GPL version 2 license, and is now developed independently of Aseprite.
As LibreSprite has a newly budding community, we need help building the infrastructure of our development, support, and news networks. If you would like to help, please make yourself known at #LibreSprite, on our forum, and check out our our guide on contributing.
Don’t worry, it isn’t as hard as you might think! Remember, we’re there to help you out at #LibreSprite if you get stuck.
The instructions are detailed here.
This program is distributed under the GNU General Public License Version 2.
An enormous thank you to the original developers of Aseprite, without them and their original licensing this project wouldn’t exist. Additional shout-outs are given in the list of contributors. If you have submitted work to LibreSprite and would like to have your name on the list, please create a pull request or get in touch and we’ll make it happen.